Saturday 12 June 2010

Day 1 & 2

I was served a turkey sandwich on the plane from Istanbul to Ankara. I laughed out loud, which woke up the man next to me. He wasn't impressed.

It got me thinking, however, about the bird and the country. Apparently, the Turkish word for turkey (the bird) is hindi, so the country India, which they call Hindistan, is 'land of turkeys' in Turkish. They find this hilarious, but they fail to see the humour when English speakers explain the same is true of their country.

I have decided that for the next three months I am going to work my way through a Turkish cookbook (a la Julie and Julia). I'm hoping that the experience will force me to get out of the house, learn some Turkish, and get over my fear of the kitchen.

I went to buy my Turkish cookbook today and couldn't decide between two different ones, so I am going to be switching between the two. The goal is that on days when I don't have a 'diplomatic engagement' in the evening, I will cook a three course meal. Ambitious, I know. And if that's not enough to occupy me, I'll study for the USMLE (the American medical board exams) in my spare time. Expect some terrible metaphors linking cooking and biochemistry, or some thing equally awful.

I'm hoping to start the first recipes early next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment