Monday 21 June 2010

Days 8, 9 & 10


The Queen's Birthday Party was incredibly fun! I met lots of interesting people, including the Ambassador, but the best part was the food: it was themed, so there were miniature cones of fish and chips, Scottish smoked salmon hors d'oeuvres, two Welsh lambs roasting on spits, roast beef in tiny yorkshire puddings, and best of all, British CHEESE. Which of course meant that I started the 'which would you give up, bread or cheese?' debate. I'm in the minority because I'd give up bread over cheese, but there you go.

On Saturday we took a day trip out to Hattusa, the ruins of the ancient Hittite capital. It is 4000 years old (from 2000 BC) and to be honest, it was mostly rubble. But the view was incredible out over a river valley and to distant mountains, so I could understand why they built their empire there. And the day was capped by my first kebab in Turkey (I can't believe I've been here for a week and not had a kebab); a very nice chicken one (pilic sis).

Yesterday, Andrew and I had Lamacun (pronounced lamajoon), which are like very thin crust pizza with minced meat and tomatoes on them. You roll them up and eat them like a burrito. They are incredibly tasty, so when I'm feeling ambitious I'll find a recipe and try it. Andrew also made some amazing beef kebabs on the barbecue last night, which we enjoyed out on the balcony until a huge thunder storm rolled across the city from the West and drove us inside. Altogether a great weekend, but I'm afraid very limited cooking on my part. And tonight is the Japanese Defense Forces Day, which means sushi at the Japanese Embassy!

Tomorrow I'm planning a leek pie, so cooking will recommence soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment